Pandora Stops Playing - Fix For "Pandora Randomly Stops Playing"

This is driving me nuts. While I am listening to Pandora, instead of it moving to a new song, Pandora stops playing abruptly before the end of the song.



While I like Pandora, this is happening more and more often lately, and I am thinking of switching to Spotify or Slacker!

The official Pandora FAQ is less than helpful, it does not solve my problem:

Why do other web pages stop the music?

This behavior is the result of settings within your web browser program. Here's how to ensure best results.

1) Always open Pandora in a new browser window (Ctrl-N or File -> New Window). Do not re-use a browser window or browser tab for listening to Pandora.

2) Make sure your web browser is set to use a new window or a new tab when clicking a link: a) In Internet Explorer 7, if you are using 'Tabbed Browsing,' then be sure to set Tools -> Internet Options -> General -> Tabs -> Tabbed Browsing Settings so that "Open links from other programs in" is set to "a new window" or "a new tab in the current window." b) In Firefox 3, no changes are necessary, but under Tools-> Options -> Tabs, you will have the option to open links in a new window or a new tab. c) In Safari, no changes are necessary, but under Edit -> Preferences -> Tabs, you will have the option to open links in a new window or a new tab by default.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-> If none of the above steps resolve your issue, please contact Pandora Listener Support.
What does solve my problem is to keep the Pandora Tab on top. So now I have to watch Pandora in addition to listening???

Even better, I now start Pandora in an stand-alone Internet Explorer window, and minimize it to the bottom right. I open another browser window if I need more tabs.


Pandora stops playing problem solved!  -- Of course, after about an hour of so of not interacting with Pandora, it will still stop and ask "are you still listening?"

9 comments:

Disclosure said...

having tested other players, pandora still has certain advantages, such as song suggestor mechanism...

znfiddler said...

had this frustrating problem, could not get IE to work,downloaded Firefox and problem solved

thx

Disclosure said...

znfiddler, thanks for your feedback on Pandora issues.

Anonymous said...

This isn't just a browser issue: it happens with Pandora One too. Quite a bit.

Disclosure said...

Hmm, so how do you solve the problem with Pandora One then? And when does "this" happen? I take it you mean pandora stops playing.

Anonymous said...

I read the original problem to be similar to what I've seen in several other threads - and what I experience myself, where one song stops abruptly and immediately shifts to a new song. The player doesn't stop, only the song in play stops, with a new one taking its place.

I've seen no solutions posted anywhere, and some of these threads date back a year or more.

When I first read the above, I was searching for threads on the topic, and it seemed the same; reading more carefully now, I'm not sure... (the problem I experience happens on browsers too)

Honey said...

I am Pandora lover before until I was getting annoyed by their commercial ads. I look for an alternative radio station and I found www.earbits.com. They are cool and great because you won't see any ads and commercials while streaming without getting to premium.

Anonymous said...

This is happening to me now on Nokia its extremely frustrating!

gx4dad said...

Ditto here with my Pandora One account and I have tried multiple computers/devices all exhibit the same behavior even my DirecTV receiver running the Pandora app pauses after each song. I sent a request to Pandora support and was told "this is not a wide spread issue happening amongst listeners". I have asked for escalation to internal IT support teams so I remain reservedly optimistic...

Post a Comment