[SOLVED] Internet Connection Down After Combofix Run

A solution for a nasty Google Redirect Malware on my Asus 1101HA netbook problem below... However the solution still left the internet connection down after Combofix run. This seems to happen to alot of people... Find solution below...


I had a nasty Google Redirect Malware on my Asus 1101HA netbook. So I installed Avast Antivirus (paid version).


Yet still, I had the Google Redirect Malware operate in my Firefox and couldn't get rid of it. So I decided to run Combofix. The reasoning was that Combofix has successully removed Google Redirect Malware on my other laptop computer.

So I finish the Combofix scan, look at the Log File, let's hope for the best.



Yet now after running Combofix my internet connection is not working! Neither on IE nor on Firefox! Ping still works!

Rebooting the Asus 1101HA netbook did not help.

Rebooting into Safe Mode with Networking (using the F8) worked, the internet was back, but my only option was to use the 800x600 screen. A bit smallish! I want 1344x768!

Luckily, after a bit of search I find this suggestion from bleeping computer.com, a guy by the name Computer Masochist!

Log on as an administrator, go Start > Run and type: "cmd". In the window that appears type: "netsh winsock reset". When the program is finished, you will receive the message: "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog. You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset." Close the command box and reboot your computer.

Go Start > Run > type: "cmd" In the window that appears type: "ipconfig /flushdns". Close the command box.

Go Start > Control Panel > Network Connections. Right click on your default connection, usually Local Area Connection or Dial-up Connection if you are using Dial-up, and and choose Properties. Double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item. Select the radio button that says "Obtain DNS servers automatically". Reboot.

Did that, and all the above quoted commands seemed to work.

After reboot, still no internet connection!

At this point, short of uninstalling Avast completely (turning it off previously did not work), I tried the last thing - I disabled then enabled the Avast Network Scan, and disabled then enabled the Webshield in Avast.

This finally worked like a charm! Internet is back!

Apparently, for now, no Google Redirect Malware either.

Good job. Hope it saves someone an hour of figuring out what is going on. Remember, after running Combofix, my internet connection was not working and the above fixed it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm having the same problems, but I never had Avast installed at all. What can I do now?

Disclosure said...

Anonymous, if you never ran Combofix, this solution does not apply to you.

Search the blog through the search box on the left for other solutions.

Post a Comment