Vista Reboot No Password Prompt

Vista is still prompting me to reboot on most updates which is quite annoying. So I decided I wanted at least to skip the ...waitey... password prompt. I typed "vista reboot no password prompt" in the search box, and got two pieces of advice. The first was to simply remove the password from my administrator account. That didn't fly well with me... what about the network risks? So the second had an answer. I quote from http://jsbi.blogspot.com/2007/04/how-to-easily-bypass-windows-vista.html:
Additionally, even if you are the sole users, you still might have set up a password just to have access to added functionality like remote connections. You wouldn't be able to connect remotely to a Windows Vista account that is not password protected.

Anyway, if you were expecting a hack I have to disappoint you. This is nothing more than simple account management. You will have to click the Start sphere, then enter “cmd” in the search box. In the Command Prompt window write “control userpasswords2” and hit enter. Windows Vista will now ask you to elevate the privileges of the process so do it and you will be face to face with a window for User Accounts. Toward the top you will be able to see the option “users must enter a username and password to use this computer.” Select the account you wish to alter and then uncheck the option. You will then be prompted with an Automatically Log On window, in which you will have to enter your name and password.
There, shaved up to a minute from the lenghty signon procedures... let me know if that help ya, leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment